Blog Archive

Sunday, April 26, 2009

The "Good" Recession

There are some pastors today that state we are in a Good Recession. I know many people that would disagree, but that is because they do not understand the pastors' intent. As I heard from the pulpit this morning, "what is from here, stays here." When jobs are lost or hours cut back and costs on goods rise, it becomes clear what we are relying on. I have a 403(b) (similar to a 401(k)) retirement account. I started it with my job back in Virginia and to be honest, I do not have a clue how much money is in it. I am sure there is less today than there was a year ago, but that does not occupy my daily thoughts. A lot of people would say that is because I am young and retirement is 40 years away, but I would disagree. There are many people my age that fret over money. No, I know what is really important in this life. I may have to cut back on amenities or supposed "needs", but this life is temporary. I placed my trust in God long ago and I know that he will guide me through every mountain and every valley. Sometimes life can be hard, so hard that it seems there is no way out, but at that time are you trusting yourself, a job, a relationship or something greater than all that? It is also important to remember that it is not the amount of stuff, the prestige or bloodline that makes a person worthwhile. In the end we all will die and everything we gathered will be left behind.

No comments: